the N4rum Forum Index the N4rum
the definitive source for the Washburn N4 and other stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEWS:
Buzz Feiten
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    the N4rum Forum Index -> ALL THINGS WASHBURN N4  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeGlobox
wow I really need a hobby

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sum up, Buzz Feiten or not… Any change on the instrument’s tuning, string gauge, string height, tremolo setup may affect intonation… and require a new intonation setup.
Think about a guitar with strings very very high… When you fret a note, you vertically bend it to reach the fret : the intonation setup sort of compensate that…
Now, with BFTS guitars, you’re supposed to perform that intonation setup using a very precise BFTS compliant tuner that has built in offsets for BFTS.

All in all… As I said, you may perfectly switch to non BFTS tuning, by re-intonating your guitar normally… no big deal !

I tend to prefer the standard way than the BFTS since my ear is used to standard tuning.. and BFTS tuned guitar kinda sound wrong to my ears… (I’m plagued with some supernatural pitch accuracy earing.. while being earing-impaired… how funny is that ? )… Don’t get me wrong : Both are wrong, BFTS is a bit less wrong in some places, but my ear is used to the ‘standard-wrong’ … With BFTS, even a simple E chord just doesn’t sound right sometimes…

On a side note, BFTS or not, I’ve been using Peterson’s Strobosoft PC tuner software for my setup, and honestly, I’ve never seen a better and as-precise tuner ever, since some old vu-meter analog ones ! (I hate digital tuners that ‘accept’ way too many flat/sharp comas and keep telling you you’re perfectly tuned… (a plague… told ya) )

!!! 335 days !!!
Sam

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzz Feiten, nice idea but not practical IMO. Too many variables.

I just intonate mine like every other guitar out there and get on with playing.

There have been plenty of great guitarists play great guitars on amazing sounding records without the BFTS.

edit. in fact, was nuno using BFTS on the first albums? are his guitars even set up for it?

Last edited by Sam on Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Palias
contributing member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is an N4 factory set-up with 009-042 strings or does Washburn use 009-046 strings like the Nuno signature strings by Dean Markley? Does anyone know?
ZeGlobox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9-42

!!! 335 days !!!
cynic al
no longer lurking

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9- 42s, dropped to Eb, and also using the d- tuna for dropped D. Is this all stable enough?

As a signature guitar, doe sit come from the factory in standard (A440 khz) tuning?

I'm sure Jons guys can sort it, having been asked for and done many times?

thx, A
Palias
contributing member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeGlobox wrote:
9-42

Thanks. I'll go for the heavier gauge at my next string change. So much for BFTS I guess.
Starlovin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first got my N4 the intonation was set to factory settings. It was beautifully in perfect tune. I've got an obsessive compulsive disorder when it comes to guitars being in tune. I've never owned a guitar that was as perfectly in tune is this one. But then, I wanted to go down to Eb, add a d-tuna and change the string gauge to 10-52. Got the guitar all setup by local guitar tech. Although he did use a feiten tuner to tune the strings, he didn't re-intonate the guitar itself to feiten offsets to compensate for the flat tuning and the string guage. So now I'm noticing that my guitar is not in perfect tune as it was before. Really frustrating. My B&B pickup should arrive any day now so when I get that sucker installed, I'll have the guitar intontated to BFTS. After that I'm good to go. Even bought myself a Korg DT-7 off ebay for $30!
- N4 Alder 2.0 (1 piece body)
- N4 ESA
- NB15

You should follow me on twitter www.twitter.com/starlovin

www.starlovin.com
www.lovenbodyparts.com
ZeGlobox

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starlovin wrote:
Got the guitar all setup by local guitar tech.

That was your first mistake... Not only it's very hard to find a qualified guy that will actually set it up right...
But there are a few reason why you should never give your axe to some tech guy :

1) Intonnation require to fret the note : Not 2 guitar players will fret using the same force... that can change the pitch a lot, hence the intonation will be different... (might be in tune when the guy frets that note, and quite sharper/flatter when you do it !)

2) Most paid techs will try to go as fast as possible (time is money) : There are 2 ways to set up the strings height on a floyd equiped guitar :

* the right way : loosen the strings, remove the back springs, adjust the height, put back everything, check.. and redo the whole thing if adjustment is still required... As you can imagine... it takes a lot of time
* the wrong way : Simply turn that stud screw while the string tension is full... and get immediate results... don't care about the floyds knives or the studs getting prematurely used...

To this date, I've still have to find a tech doing this the proper way.. Rolling Eyes

3) Neck setup is a process that also take a lot of time, as you get immediate result when adjusting the truss rod... unfortunately, during the next few hours, the truss rod will still 'work'a bit.... Many techs take less than half an hour doing the whole setup : guitar comes out perfectly setup'd ... only, the next day... you find you frets buzzing or the strings are a bit too high... in both cases.. your intonation is wrong...again...

Learning how to set up your instrument by yourself is a MUST DO ! It's not that hard.. takes a lot of time at first... but eventually, it's the only way to get exactly what you want !

!!! 335 days !!!

Last edited by ZeGlobox on Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
skeesik
too much free time

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1

Wink
JONNYGORILLA
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeGlobox wrote:
9-42

they are supposed to come with nuno's 9-46 now
Post new topic   Reply to topic    the N4rum Forum Index -> ALL THINGS WASHBURN N4 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: