the N4rum Forum Index the N4rum
the definitive source for the Washburn N4 and other stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEWS:
(Guitar) solos - what's the point?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    the N4rum Forum Index -> Regular Discussion  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sam
wow I really need a hobby

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Beatsmith wrote:
@ Sam - yes but the 70's/80's/early 90's were when guitar solos were taken to the height of uber-wankery-nothing-to-do-with-anything-but-ego nonsense, and the aftermath of this still plagues us today

also the bass solo at the end of 'aeroplane' has a point, it's to end the song and it helps create excitement and build to the climax at the end of the 'party'. it's not shoehorned between the second chorus and last verse for no reason

I completely agree, about the queen stuff too. I was trying to answer the question in the topic title really.

Solo's (good or bad) dont have a point. They are either structured parts of the song that 'work'...or like you say they are shoehorned in due to lack of creativity and an expectation from some guitarists that they MUST have an opportunity to do their thing.

I dont think guitarist's solos get remembered by joe public...I think it just happens to be that those certain songs have catchy licks and riffs in them! So the audience already recognise and like the song and probably wouldnt even notice if you edited out the solo.
chilly
contributing member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are missing the point.

Why do you keep talking about music?

A guitar solo has nothing to do with music, it's purely about status and rank within the band.

Unavoidably, the lead singer is the focus of attention and, as such, will be the first choice for most groupies.

Thus, to claim second place in the pecking order, the guitarist must take a moment in the spotlight to effectively announce...

"Remember ladies, I may be the only guitarist in the band, but I am the LEAD guitar payer. Me and the LEAD singer and the important ones. No one has ever heard of a lead bass player or the lead drummer. They are not as important."

Rock history is littered with all the proof we need:

Axl, Slash... and the other guys
Mick, Keith... and the other guys
Ozzy, Randy... and the other guys
Ozzy, Tony... and the other guys
Ozzy, Zakk... and the other guys
Bono, The Edge... and the other guys
Dave, Eddie... and the other guys
Brett, CC... and the other guys
Perry, Dave... and the other guys
Billy, Steve... and the other guys
Steve, Joe... and the other guys
Jon, Richie... and the other guys

Taking Bon Jovi as an example, whilst I'm sure the partners of the drummer, bass player and the keyboard player are lovely people, if you want the hotter looking girls, then grab your axe, stand in the spotlight and show the crowd how cool you are.

Keyboards

[img]

Lead guitar

...hang on...

...something's not right...

...my theory is collapsing...

...Google has just informed me that Bon Jovi's drummer was once married to Eva Herzigova

And his current wife is pretty stunning too

...and come to think of it...

...didn't Richie Sambora once date Cher ???

...yep, as I've always said, guitar solos are all about the music.

Cool Cool Wink Wink
ZeGlobox

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing

!!! 335 days !!!
mr_leemur

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the expression is...

doughnut!!!
The Beatsmith

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1z09v_triumph-the-insult-comic-dog-bon-jo_animals

Cool

Last edited by The Beatsmith on Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
badronald
too much free time

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wholetone should chime in, didn't he used to do guitar musak or work in a studio or something? He knows everything.
Robble
contributing member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Beatsmith wrote:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1z09v_triumph-the-insult-comic-dog-bon-jo_animals

Cool

I'm from NJ and these people are real.

Also this is one of the funniest pieces of poop that triumph has ever done.

BTW really there are some nice parts and people from NJ, no really I promise. (Case in point me and my N4).
badronald
too much free time

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robble wrote:
BTW really there are some nice parts and people from NJ, no really I promise. (Case in point me and my N4).

dang straight, I go to Cape May every June, it' my families favorite place.
EsoDeez
too much free time

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Beatsmith wrote:
plus, i think there's a thing with the 80's and early 90's - the solos were SO over the top that it put everyone off. hence nirvana etc. actually it probably goes way back to the 70's too

if there's a break in a song for a piano solo, i don't think twice, it's fine.

if there's a guitar solo though, we're (we meaning people, not just guitarists) all on edge, ready to roll our eyes at the self indulgent prick - probably because of the large amount of self indulgent pricks we've seen in the 80's/early 90's.

the number of times i've been in a crowd at a modern gig and there's clearly a guitar solo coming up and heard comments or just a general feeling of boredom... i think these days not too many people wanna hear it - other than guitarists who are either watching in 'awe' or stood arms folded with a 'look at this dick... i could do that' attitude

maybe i'm getting 'old', maybe there have just been too many 'show off' shredding solos, i don't know. i don't really know what my point is in general as i'm not even sure how i feel about it, just having a discussion really

on saudades de rock, my favourite 'solo' bits are the first violin'd bit on 'last hour', and the solo on 'peace (saudade)', by far.

but that doesn't mean i practice 'play with me' whenever i pick up the guitar... which by the way... in the context of a playful 'fun' song like that, works just fine i reckon!

You bring up many good points. I've seen people just stand with a look of indifference when a guitarist takes off on a solo. With me being one of the guys with his arms folded thinking I can do it Razz I'd much rather hear a good riff and some killer vocal harmonies or melody. Btw I love the "Peace" solo as well...my favorite on the whole cd. Just hits those right notes, the tone, the way he bends those notes. Perfect.
tobleronetwo
too much free time

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are guitarists who know how to create an guitar solo interlude to suit the song, i still get goose bumps listening to the Brians May's solo in "days of our lives"

And Nuno's guitar playing is just great to listen to, i think the only solo's i don't like is the screeching sound in 'Air that you breathe' and that racket in 'true love in the galaxy'

Hysteria by Muse has an awsome solo/interlude, And the percussive solos Tom Morello comes up with.

Yet there is some pointless smile, i don't think it is about should or shouldn't there be a solo, i just think the solo should just be justified for being there, iv'e seen indie bands with guitarists into Steve Vai playing Vai style solos and sounds in Oasis style music...WHY!!!??

I went to watch Dream Theatre last month the support act had a soloing guitar player, his 1st solo went something along the lines of

'diddlydiddlydiddlydiddlywiddlewiddlediddly' x1000 speed

His other solos went along the lines of

'diddlydiddlydiddlydiddlywiddlewiddlediddly' x1000 speed

I hate that smile!!!

I play solos in four of our songs, basically to extend the song, so its not verse chorus verse chorus chorus end. Nothing fancy though and not long either, i think one of the solos has about four notes so it's more of a diddly riff within the song just to take us into a bit where it breaks down so it's not so sudden.
Guido23
too much free time

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup the solo on air that u breathe is smile lol dunno wha happened there. he must have had a rough day or or something
The Beatsmith

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind the air that you breathe solo, really. Never thought about it before.

The 45 minute drum intro with the filter on it on 'i wanna be your friend' is fucking annoying, though. Dude must have been smoking some weed and tweaking the filter on some drums he just recorded and thought he was absolutely killing smile

What a weird album, that was
DavidC

Location: On the outskirts of nowhere, on the ringroad to somewhere, on the verge of indecision

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to see a local live band in a pub a few months back. The guitarist was simply amazing. Had a Paul Gilbert guitar and shredded like a pub guitarist shouldn't be able to. Serious ability. But at every opportunity he blew 1000 notes in my face. Now this is coming from someone who loves melody, but also loves a guitar solo. However, that guitarist, brilliant as he was, just didn't understand the point of a solo.

There's nothing wrong with a display of ability, but skill also means not playing a solo, or just playing a slow melodic line.

Songs like Freebird, Comfortably Numb and Hotel California, to my mind, are undoubtedly better due to the solo. People know them, but that's cos they're melodic and you could whistle them. There's a mantra in that for me that I try to follow when composing a solo for our band.
N4, N3, N4 Natural Quilt 2.0, N4 Paddy 2.0, N4XX #26, N4 Walnut/Wenge
http://www.youtube.com/GuitarDBC
Evill D
contributing member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to dredge up an old thread but here is my take.

There are some songs where if you can't play the solo nearly note for note, what the the is the point of playing it because it is just as important to the song as the rest of the song.

I also think solos should complement the song and say something with heart and soul, and it isn't how much you say it is how you say it. I am a metal head at heart but some of my favorite bands rarely solo. Never got into slayer because it is so fast what is the point. I also really like zaak wylde's early stuff with pride and glory and ozzy over his recent stuff where he will play an awesome riff then ruin the song with a million note solo full of harmonics.
Sam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THREADOMANCY!!!! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    the N4rum Forum Index -> Regular Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: