the N4rum Forum Index the N4rum
the definitive source for the Washburn N4 and other stuff

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NEWS:
Paduak Stain Swamp Ash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    the N4rum Forum Index -> ALL THINGS WASHBURN N4  
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzzwagon
contributing member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Paduak Stain Swamp Ash Reply with quote

One just sold on EBay for 900! Anyone on here get it?

I think these look fantastic and it's the first one I've seen for sale. I didn't think it would go for the asking price but the rarity value must have clinched it.

If it had been a few hundred less I might've been tempted (about 400 less...) Wink
- Wish list: Gary Moore Aged Les Paul
Carl170
no longer lurking

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah - I saw that one too and wondered if someone here had got it.

Not too sure about staining wood to look like another type of wood. I liked the paddy that went for 620!

If I had 900 I would be looking for a vintage type, or even an unstained ash.

One question for you. How does your vintage and paddy differ soundwise?

Also, are the necks different?

Regards

Carl
Buzzwagon
contributing member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like this type of guitar so much I asked Jon ages ago if you could restain Paduak to look as purple as the stained swamp ash ones! I.e. could you stain a Paduak guitar to look more Paduak?! Laughing it seems a bit hit and miss as they age if they will turn more brownish as opposed to purple so I was trying to cheat!

The neck on the Paddy feels smoother than the N4 and a slightly slimmer profile. Both play fantastically well but I'd say the Paddy just edges it for feel and playability.

It's not comparing apples with apples as the Paddy also has a Bare Knuckle Zakk Wylde pick up in the bridge (can't remember it's name) that is way more aggressive than the stock Bill Lawrence. It's not an EMG active version and it has loads of sustain combined with the heavier wood in the Paddy.

I got my 06 Paddy on EBay last year at a fantastic price, haven't seen too many for sale since then though.
Carl170
no longer lurking

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was that the one that went for 620?(!)

Regards

Carl
Buzzwagon
contributing member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it for 720, worth every penny!
Carl170
no longer lurking

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still a great bargain at 720!

Did you try it out before you bought it? I would be a little scared to plonk down that kind of money without seeing it in the flesh. Also depends on honesty from the seller.

The N2 I just bought has a ding in the neck which was not mentioned or shown in any photos. The seller said he forgot it was there as the guitar has sat it in its case so long and he only took pictures from the front. Hmmm...

Cheers

Carl
Buzzwagon
contributing member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was my first proper purchase on EBay so I was pantsing it a bit to be honest. I canvassed a few friends who'd bought stuff on EBay regularly and they all advised looking into the feedback in more detail on the sellers site.

I've been keeping an eye out for the Melvyn Franks/Gary Moore Aged Gibson and seen 4 separate listings that used photos from other sellers and that had 100% positive feedback but with a ridiculous amount of transactions in a week so I gave those a wide berth and reported them to EBay.

The seller answered all my questions and supplied extra photos at request so I was happy enough. I didn't get to try it but expected to have to set it up at some point but it's still playing great. I wanted more of a guarantee on postage and emailed him to say I'd pay more for this and while i was waiting on a reply I got a text from the wife while I was at work to say that it had arrived!

Your seller may have been genuine about the ding. You could always see how much it would be to repair and then ask him to refund that amount as it wasn't mentioned in the description if you're unhappy about it.

I bought a Gibson SG the same way and apart from the combination being set on the case which took me an extra 15mins to sort (not good when your busting to play the thing!) it was fine.
cHaOsReX
contributing member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first N4 was an Ash with padauk stain. 2001. I still have it. I'm not sure if it's the same as the one you guys are talking about. I have seen a couple different pad stained N4s.

The one I have is NOT Swamp Ash. Skee may have something different to say about this particular guitar.

What is it if it's not Swamp Ash and how do I know it's not Swamp Ash?

Well I'm not totally sure what kind of wood it is as the pad stain is extremely thick. If it is indeed an Ash then I believe it's Rock Ash. I do know that this guitar is not Swamp Ash because it is one of my heaviest N4s. (I own 10).

I also own an NX6 that is Swamp Ash and that NX6 is by far the lightest guitar I own (out of 31 guitars).

Once I take proper pictures of the Ash stained N4 (for the museum) I will see about getting the wood typed then it will most likely be for sale. That's probably a few months away.
mr_leemur
wow I really need a hobby

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

show us some pics!!
cHaOsReX
contributing member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back Row, Middle Guitar. I don't have any other pics of it right now. But it will be in the museum someday soon.
[/img]
mr_leemur
wow I really need a hobby

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that's dark!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    the N4rum Forum Index -> ALL THINGS WASHBURN N4 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: